Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Monday Memory (on Tuesday): Gerilliums

I had a Monday Memory all thought up over the weekend, and considered writing it out on Sunday. It was an easy one; short and simple. So I decided that, since it would take me only a few minutes to write it out, I wouldn't bother writing it ahead.

But then Monday came. And all day long I was thinking it was Tuesday. I completely forgot about the Monday Memory until I sat down a few minutes before bedtime and saw a reminder note from my sister. OK, I thought, It's late, but I still have time to write a quick post for Monday Memory. I'll just type up the few sentences I had planned.

But I could not remember what I had planned to write about. Racking my brain didn't help. I couldn't think of anything at all. So I gave up and went to bed.

Then, reading my sister's Monday Memory today jogged my brain and I remembered what I'd been planning to write about. Amy and I were apparently on the same wavelength.

So here it is.

Did I ever tell you about GERILLIUMS?


My paternal grandfather used to call every plant that he didn't know the name of, a gerillium. He pronounced the word like a cross between geranium and trillium.

Someone would say, "What kind of flower is that?" and he would say with an air of great confidence, not missing a beat: "It's a gerillium."

It took me several years to figure out that there's no such thing as a gerillium.

-----------------------

Links to other Monday Memories



Click here for the Monday Memories code
Click here for Shelli's blog

Trackbacks, pings, and comment links are accepted and encouraged!


4 Comments:

Blogger ccw said...

Thanks for the laugh! That is a great memory.

6:22 AM  
Blogger Sparrow said...

Haha! I had forgotten that. :-P

11:42 AM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Glad you enjoyed it, CCW and Amy.

1:52 AM  
Blogger Norma said...

Great story. Glad you remembered it.

My MM is up.

3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home