Sunday, April 16, 2006

Resurrection Day

I wish I had a photo of the spectacle we made today--me carrying Baby E in the rebozo in front and the diaper bag on my back while swinging around on crutches, with the two older girls tagging along beside. It worked quite well, actually.

############

I think I'm more sore from using the crutches now than from whatever is wrong with my ankle. I don't remember having crutches affect me that way last time I used them, when I sprained my ankle before AJ was born--but then again, I wasn't carrying a 20-some-odd pound baby and a diaper bag on crutches before.

The church service was excellent. One of the pastors spoke, using letters made of 6-foot shaped wreaths of dried branches to illustrate the sermon. On each end was a cross, and as the sermon progressed he unveiled the letters R, U and S between them. The two crosses on the ends were the T's, creating the word TRUST.

R stood for the resurrection, without which our faith in Christ would be baseless. U stood for Unconditional love--God's love for us, complete and freely given despite anything we've done or how undeserving we may be. The S was for the eternal safety and security that we can find in our relationship with God. The first cross was, of course, Christ's sacrifice on the cross as He died for us. The second cross represented the cross that we take up when we follow Him--laying down control of our lives and trusting Him completely, putting our hope in Him instead of depending on ourselves and giving up our right to run our own lives as we see fit, obeying and following Him. It was a neat visual picture and encapsulated the message in a memorable way.

We had a very nice day today, with church and seeing both sides of the family. We didn't get to see my grandparents, but did get to enjoy the church service and then spend time with both my parents/sister and DH's parents.

We got some exciting news tonight. My friend from college, Pediatric Intern, is going to be working here at the hospital nearby for 3 years or so, starting Winter 2007. It will be a lot of fun having her nearby for a few years.

It won't, however, mean that we'll have our own personal pediatrician on call. My friend won't be a general practice pediatrician--she's specializing in endocrinology. As she said, hopefully she'll never have cause to see any of my kids in her practice. We don't want any juvenile diabetes or endocrine disorders here. It's just as well, she said, because it's often difficult for doctors to treat patients they have a close personal relationship with. Too hard to keep professional detachment.

My kids already view "the other A" as an honorary aunt. It will be great to see more of her over the next few years.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sparrow said...

I had fun today, and sooo fun that A is going to be moving here! :-D

11:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so happy to hear that your good friend will be working nearby - hopefully, I can meet her someday! Have you read Intern Blues? It describes how 3 interns make it through residency - not easy!

Also, "Auntie" is the nickname my friend's kids use to address me b/c she said that's a sign of respect in the Philippines. It's used for friends of your parents who are older than you.

Take care!! Colleen

1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home