Friday, April 14, 2006

The Voice in the Night

The sounds entered my consciousness slowly, vaguely. A child was crying somewhere in the house. Blearily hauling myself out of bed, I stumbled down the hall. The cries seemed fainter now.

I checked Baby E's room. She stirred softly in her sleep, her breathing briefly quickening, then becoming regular again. No sobbing there.

I pulled the door silently behind me, leaving it open a crack to avoid a sound. I couldn't hear the crying now, but went to check on the older girls anyway.

They, too, were sound asleep, sprawled across their beds like abandoned marionettes. I tucked the covers over their splayed limbs, brushed a strand of hair from MM's eyes, and took a book out of AJ's sleeping hands. They didn't even stir.

Back in my own bed, I wondered what I had heard. Maybe I had dreamed the sobs. Then I heard Baby E fussing. My nocturnal wanderings had awakened her. Was it possible that my motherly instincts had thought I heard her crying because she was about to wake up? Or had I heard something else?

#################

The next day, while the girls were having quiet time, I heard the murmur of a child's voice nearby. But when I checked they were both quietly reading books in their beds. Baby E was asleep.

Another time it was a woman's voice, softly singing a lullaby. I thought maybe the CD player had gotten turned on downstairs, but when I looked for the source of the music it disappeared.

The sounds were faint and elusive. I heard them only when the house was quiet. Sometimes I would hear them downstairs, but more frequently in the bedroom. I shrugged them off as sounds from outside, from the television, from someone playing a radio in the street, or from the girls playing. But a nagging feeling told me that my explanations didn't really explain the sounds I heard.

Most frequently, it was the sobbing at night. I would be awakened by the sound of a child crying and go to check on the girls, but they would all be sleeping peacefully. Nothing explained that. Nothing that made sense, anyway.

Was I dreaming it? I was the only one who seemed to hear it. But it seemed so real. Was I imagining things? Or was there really some unknown thing weeping in the dark?

Then one night it was DH who nudged me awake. "Baby E is crying," he said, "Should I go get her?"

"I'll go," I said. Prying myself from between the sheets, I sat up. The green light on the clock dimly lit the room. 5:00 a.m. Baby E had slept much longer than usual, I thought, as I listened to her crying and stirring in her crib.

Then I realized that the voice was not quite right, the articulation too discrete.

The little voice wailed, "Ma-ma, ma-ma, ma-ma. Da-da. Da-da."

Baby E doesn't say Ma-ma like that.

But it was definitely a baby's voice. The crying escalated, more intense but still quiet and clear in the night: "Ma-ma-ma-ma-ma!"

I went to check. As I expected, all three girls were asleep.

What, then, was crying?

Then I identified the source of the sound.

The baby monitor.

Suddenly I thought I recognized the voice. It sounded like the 1-year-old girl who lives across the cul-de-sac.

Our receiver must have been picking up the frequency from a neighbor's baby monitor. There must be at least 4 or 5 monitors in use within a block or so of our home.

Sure enough, when I called the next day, the neighbors across the street verified that their baby girl had awakened at 5 a.m. that morning. They had recently changed the frequency on their monitor to avoid interference with the telephone.

We've changed the frequency on our monitor now. The eerie sobbing no longer haunts our nights.

But I can't help but wonder if another neighbor's home has gained a ghost.

9 Comments:

Blogger KLee said...

Whew! You had me really worried there for a minute! I was wondering if we should call for an exorcism, or something!

Glad to hear all is well, though, and just a case of monitor interference! All my best to the girls, hubby, and may your blessings be bountiful for Easter.

11:03 AM  
Blogger Liz Miller said...

We experienced that same phenomenon when our backyard neighbors brought home their baby 5 months after Muffin Man was born.

Happy Easter.

11:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh goodness, I actually knew where you were going with that story. We used to get airplane radio interference on ours. In the middle of the night we'd hear, "Runway 2 clear for landing.". We were pretty sure our newborn sons weren't flagging in airplanes, though. ;)

Regardless of what you're hearing, it's still unnerving.

It also made me wonder if they could hear ME pleading softly in the middle of the night, "Oh, for the love on my sanity, pleeeease go back to sleep."

11:56 AM  
Blogger Chancy said...

Baby monitors can do that.

We were keeping our grandbaby one night and had the monitor in the den with the baby asleep upstairs in the crib. We heard a man's voice, a one sided conversation evidently on a telephone talking to a building supervisor about problems they were having with a customer. He would talk and then listen. We only had silence when the other party was responding. Occasionally we would hear the first man curse and say something a bit off color. We finally figured out it must be our neighbor, about 4 houses down the street talking on either his home telephone or cell phone.He was a builder. It was like he was right there in the den with us.

Then we changed the channel on the monitor.

It never happened again.

)I came here via "Richard Lawrence Cohen's blog)

2:08 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Woweeee that was spooky! I wonder if a "ghost" has appeared in anothers home now!!!

4:32 PM  
Blogger Sparrow said...

Well written post. You had my hair standing up on end! I was starting to wonder if there was someone inparticular you were supposed to be praying for, hehe. Glad you got it figured out! LOL

4:34 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

LOL, Klee, Heather, and Amy . . . I was trying to make it a bit spooky (as it was!), so I'm glad I scared you just a little bit. :)

Liz, Dani, and Chancy, I'm not surprised to hear you experienced the same thing. Monitor interference must be quite common, especially if neighbors happen to have the same brand.

It surprises me to hear that radios and phones would be picked up on a baby monitor, though; I wonder if it works on a radio frequency.

Chancy, I'm glad you stopped by; welcome. My dad is a builder, so I've heard many of those kinds of conversations (minus the colorful language). :)

6:51 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

BTW, Dani and Heather, my first thought when I realized what was going on was to wonder how much the neighbors had heard in their monitor when we had Baby E and the listening end of the monitor in our bedroom!!! But they said they hadn't heard anything unusual on their end--phew!

6:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm late but wanted to share this one . . . We used to have this problem sometimes and once I heard my downstairs neighbor on her cordless phone, telling her mother that my mother had just been visiting! I turned the monitor off quick. We were all very friendly but no need to risk a stray snarky comment ruining that friendship!

Also, once our monitor started making weird shrieking noises, terribly loud and shrill, in the middle of the night. We had to turn it off. We joked that government spy planes were flying over or aliens or something. Then in the morning we realized it had come unplugged and when the battery wore out in the middle of the night, horrible noise ensued. We double-checked the plug every night after that.

12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home