Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Delurking, and Reasons for Blogging

January 8-12 is Delurking Week. I believe it was originally Paper Napkin's idea. She posted a few icons for people to use, and I thought these two were funny.

Delurk: In cyberspace no one can hear you read

Cranky guy saying, Would it kill ya to comment?

I write my blog for three main reasons:

##########

First, I write for myself and my family, to chronicle our life and my thoughts about it. That's already been immensely helpful, both as an outlet and processing point for me.

It's also helpful as a reference. It's nice to be able to go back and check my records of what day we had that doctor's appointment, or when it was that Baby E screamed all day and what was unusual about the day.

That was immensely helpful in making my charts and records for the doctors. I've been able to use several of my blog posts to help Baby E's doctors better understand her condition. When I started bringing that kind of information to appointments was when we began to make progress.

My writing brought results when just telling the doctors verbally wasn't working.

Secondly, I write to help other people. My posts about the controversy and potential dangers surrounding Airborne Formula and about how to sidecar a crib receive more hits and links than all the rest of my posts put together. People seem to find them helpful, and that's exciting to me. I also get a lot of hits from people searching for help with their child's allergies, or a baby that screams all the time.

If anything I write here can provide any measure of help or comfort, that alone makes it valuable.

That's a large part of why I post so much about the research I do about allergies. I feel it's important to chronicle the difficulties of getting information about allergens and appropriate treatment from everyone: the ignorance and lack of cooperation ranging from pharmacists, doctors and other medical professionals to food companies and drug manufacturers is appalling.

I tend to think that somehow, if the general public realizes how horrendously difficult it is to find out what's actually in our food and medicines, or how hard it is to get doctors to take allergies seriously, look past statistics and see the actual patient, people might be more willing to help change the system.

I hope that my blog will help to build awareness and indirectly become a catalyst for change.

Maybe it will be small: Maybe some parent with a food-allergic child will learn how to push harder and get more answers when they call food companies. Maybe some doctor or nurse will learn that there is value in listening a little more closely to the patient's concerns. Maybe some grownup will be more careful about the food or toys they offer unthinkingly to someone else's child. Even the smallest result helps to make my efforts worthwhile.

Finally, I do my journaling online, in a blogging format, because I enjoy the interactions with commenters and other bloggers.

Since I have cable internet, it's online all the time. Blogger notifies me via e-mail of new comments on the blog. My computer automatically checks e-mail for me every 5 minutes.

So, every time I walk by the computer I check to see if anyone has commented. I may not always be able to respond to every comment, though I try, but you can be assured that every comment is read and appreciated.

I love having people comment on my blog. It makes me feel like there is actually someone out there reading; I'm not just talking to myself.

More than anything else, this post is a thank-you to my readers and commenters. Sometimes your comments make me laugh. Sometimes they bring tears to my eyes. Sometimes they help me get through the day.

Strangely enough, the support, advice and just the sheer presence of a bunch of mostly-strangers is a special and enriching part of my life.

It still flabbergasts me that anyone would find my life interesting enough to read my blog somewhat regularly, but somehow some of you do. Thank you. And thank you for your comments, even if it's just leaving a blogstone (o). Your comments make my day, if only for the fact that they let me know you were here.

A comment means that a reader became engaged enough with whatever they read to want to leave some kind of mark that they were here. That's always exciting.

Anyway, I totally understand that some people aren't comfortable commenting. But if you'd like to comment, please feel free.

Don't ever feel like your comment won't be noticed, or that I won't care.

I read every single one.

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Delurking to say I love your blog. I have no children of my own, but you've certainly made me more aware of how to respectfully handle people/children with food allergies and things to be aware of when visiting. I love your food blog and often try your recipe ideas. Hugs to your entire family and my prayers are always with Baby E!

8:26 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I like the delurking illustrations and it was interesting to read about why you blog.

Good to read that after your recent ills Baby E is enjoying a relative hiatus thanks to your diligence.

Regards - Shinga

9:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know I'm here every day.

9:28 AM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Thank you for your comment, Kai. It's encouraging to hear that you've gleaned some helpful information and enjoyed the recipes.

Shinga, thanks for commenting. I'm planning to feature a few of my favorite/most interesting blogs to read soon, and yours will be one of them.

9:37 AM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Liz, mwah! I've never met you, but I feel you're a good friend. You are so sweet.

9:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(o)

9:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

P_K, I was reading your post yesterday about the pharmacists and shaking my head. It's a sad state when you know more than them AND they refuse to help! Terrible! But I'm glad to hear Baby E is doing so much better. May it continue!

11:01 AM  
Blogger mc said...

Hi PK! I liked reading your reasons for blogging... what a great idea for a post. And I'm so glad you've gained some helpful info about Baby E's issues lately, even if you've had to be incredibly persistent to do so.

11:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well you know I love to comment on your blog. I understand your reasons for blogging sometimes I wish I was better about getting details of thing for my own reference such as you do but I don't think my writing skills are very good. BTW I love getting comments on my blog as well.

12:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Er, I'm not exactly delurking, am I? What Liz said. You know I'm here...

1:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not delurking, either, but I know I don't always get time to write a comment. I read every post, though.

I find it amazing that you're having such troubles getting medical personnel to see that Baby E is truly suffering, and I'm glad if the blog (and the posts/ideas for the "levels") has helped make things any easier for Baby E. I know that your blog (and your food blog) are great resources for parents with allergic children. I've sent several people your way, and even described your "level" system to staff at my school as a behavior management tracking item that we could implement.

Keep up all your hard work! And I'll be here, reading, if not always commenting!

1:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!

I'm delurking! I've been reading your blog for about a year and have commented a couple of times. I enjoy your blog very much! My new sister in law has very bad food allergies and I like to read your blog because it helps me understand what she goes through every day. Thanks!

6:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not exactly delurking, but saying hi anyways....!

9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also not delurking, but here saying "Hi!"

I like the stone idea. My uncle's family is Jewish, so I had heard about the stone thing before.

ooo

:)

11:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I delurked all on my own a few weeks ago, but hi again!

11:00 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Wow, I knew most of you were reading occasionally, but I had no idea so many of you were here on a frequent or daily basis. And thank you to the new delurkers.

It's so nice to hear from you people.

12:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi haven't been around the computer for a while what with the holidays and all, this was a cool post adn just wanted to say hi and that I'm cathing up and sorry that you are feeling ill these days! hugs! :)

3:17 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I came over here after reading your always interesing comments at Phantom's. I have a sister-in-law with serious allergy issues, and its humbling to me to read a day-to-day account of how hard they are to deal with.

You have my admiration, particularly for your doggedness in tracking down what's really happening from unbelievably obstructionist professionals!

Great writing, and good luck finding as many answers as possible about Baby E.

2:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home