Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Restoring Order

I'm amazed at how much more food it takes to feed my family these days. The fabulous spaghetti squash recipe that would have fed us for at least two meals a few months ago now barely goes around for one dinner.

At least it's a healthy dish that everyone loves and wants third and fourth servings--of squash, a normally detested food! Can't beat that.

It feels like life is beginning to stabilize.

#############

Today I did a little bit of school with the kids--not a full-blown day, but at least reading, math, science (for AJ), and handwriting. We're going to try to gradually ease back into school in the next few days. Hopefully by next week we'll be settled into something of a routine.

I was even able to combine a cooking project with AJ's science lesson today. I had peeled a ginger root for ginger-pear muffins this morning, and whenever I got a minute for the next couple of hours I worked on cutting the rhizome into pieces and pushing them through the garlic press.

AJ was supposed to do an exercise in freezing water today, so instead I had her help me measure out half-teaspoons of the crushed ginger juice and freeze it in an ice cube tray for future use. My ginger always seems to go bad before I use it all. Hopefully this will be a good solution. AJ certainly enjoyed the project. Tomorrow she's supposed to observe steam--I wonder how I can fit that into cooking dinner?

Speaking of tomorrow's dinner, I have a whole free-range chicken to cook. Does anyone have a favorite recipe or method to share? (Requirements: no soy, coconut, corn, dairy, legumes [beans/peas], apples, bananas, grapes, oats, eggs, refined sugars [honey is ok], premade processed items [i.e. no cream of chicken soup], yeast/mold/mushrooms, vinegar or other fermented products.)

Baby E is usually taking a decent afternoon nap now, so that gives me a chance to breathe. I had been sending the older kids to their rooms for quiet time so I could nap also. But the last few days I haven't been quite so fatigued. It's nice to be able to spend that time doing things with the kids or catching up on chores instead of crashing in exhaustion.

Between things I got 4 loads of laundry washed and put away, and the kids and I worked a bit on organizing things around the house. After nap time we ran a few errands and cooked dinner.

DH got home just as dinner was ready. As we ate I read aloud a letter from Selemani, the child we sponsor through Compassion International. The family sat around the table to compose a reply together, and then we worked a bit on planning AJ's birthday party.

After that the kids did their evening chores, had baths, and went to bed. Even Baby E was asleep before 11. DH and I even got to play a quick game of Settlers of Catan.

It all seems so deliciously normal. Our home and routines still have a long way to go, but we're steadily making progress at restoring order and functionality to our life.

As I was telling DH tonight, I think we're on the path to getting out of crisis mode and moving toward normalcy.

That feels wonderful.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a cool roasted chicken recipe. Cut a lemon and put it in the cavity of the chicken. coat the outside of the chicken with Olive oil and the juice of another lemon and spices of your choice.

Roast at 400 till the leg juices run clear when cut. My guys are so so on meat and LOVE this recipe.

What goes well with this is oven roasted sweet potatos and a veggie

Good Luck and I hope I missed the allergins!

3:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm very fond of roasted chicken with apricots and prunes and/or olives; if your family likes any of them and you have them around, they'd be tasty to throw in with Joann's recipe.

Will you let us know if the ginger thing works? Mine always molds, too.

8:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also have a lemon chicken recipe, but you don't cut the lemon. First you roll it hard under your palm for about 20 seconds, then you pierce it with a toothpick or fork a few times. Then you put it in the cavity. Add a few cloves of garlic if you want, or keep it pure lemon. You don't have to rub the skin with anything at all. Just pop the bird in the oven and roast until the legs are loose and the juices run clear.

11:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's so fantastic to hear about things finally going more smoothly for you guys! You deserve it more than anyone I can think of!

Roasted chicken...I do this with butter, but you could use whatever other fat or none at all. Use fresh herbs from garden and mince finely, blend into fat of choice (or not). Butterfly (spatchcock) chicken, and rub herbs underneath skin. Cut potato with mandoline slicer WITHOUT CUTTING OFF A PIECE OF YOUR THUMB THAT YOU'LL HAVE TO PICK OUT OF THE FOOD LATER!. Line roasting pan with foil, place sliced potatoes on top. Cook chicken for about 45 minutes. The potatoes will be crunchy and scrumptious from the herb-scented chicken fat.

Oh man, do I want some crunchy fattening potatoes now. Stoopid diet. By the way, will you share your ginger-pear muffin recipe with us sometime?

1:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's been awhile since I've been over here - and wow! I'm so glad to see a post like this, PK!! You deserve it!

Here I was feeling rotten last week having to transition our lives to my new FT work/PT school schedule...Then I remember, it could be a lot worse - and besides, it's going better this week :D.

Hugs to you and yours.

3:48 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Thanks so much for the chicken ideas, everyone.

I combined Jo-ann's, Liz's and DebbieS' ideas--squeezed a lemon and mixed the juice with oil, salt, garlic, rosemary and thyme, and sliced another lemon and put it with some spices into the cavity of the chicken. Baked in an oven bag, it turned out fabulously tender and delicious.

I plan to try jenny f. scientist's idea sometime soon, too.

Wendy, thanks for dropping by.

Mommyham, I hope your schedule stabilizes well.

3:17 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Oh, and I will post the ginger muffin recipe on Restricted Gourmet once I get it perfected (too much ginger and not enough sweetness this try) and will let you know how the ginger-freezing works out.

3:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It must be so nice to be moving towards normalcy - what a relief! It has definitely been a slow train coming.

10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home