Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Getting there

I'm feeling much better today than I was yesterday. I slept well last night, and I started taking Vitamin C as sodium ascorbate every few hours, and also remembered to take my other supplements (I've been forgetting a lot lately).

Parts of the day I actually almost felt normal. I still needed to rest a lot, but the dizziness and other symptoms weren't as bad today. I was excited that I was actually able to take a shower and wash my hair AND get dressed, all without feeling completely on the verge of collapse before I finished.

###########################

This afternoon the neighbor mom and daughter came over to talk about the 16-year-old coming over to help with the kids, and I scheduled her to come Monday afternoon.

I think she'll be good. She is willing to play with the kids, has quite a bit of experience babysitting, and has taken the Red Cross babysitting course, which I know is good (I took it as a teen, too). The other neighbor who has used her as a babysitter gave her a good review. The kids seemed to like her. And her usual rate of charge seems very reasonable.

She's going to be able to do some of the things with the kids that I haven't been able to do, like taking them for walks and taking them out to ride trikes. I think she's coming Friday afternoon to take the kids for a walk, too, but the brain fog kicked in and I'm not sure whether she's actually doing that or not.

My mom brought us dinner tonight . . . delicious Sopa de Lima (chicken soup with lime and spices). Apparently my sister SisJ had a migraine yesterday. She's having such a hard time finishing college, due to her chronic health issues (similar to mine, but worse). I'm keeping her in my prayers.

DH commented while we ate dinner that it was so nice to actually have me dressed and sitting at the table with the family for dinner. It's been a while.

I talked to the nurse at the clinic today, trying to find out if I can get titers run to find out if I just contracted mono or if I have had it for a long time. After 3 or 4 phone calls back and forth this week, the verdict is that they want me to wait until the doctor who saw me is back in the office, which will happen Friday.

Another doctor looked at my chart and said that my doctor would probably want to run more tests given my health history--not only to try to figure out how recent the infection is, but also because apparently other viruses besides Epstein-Barr can cause a positive monospot. So that may not even be what I have. But they wanted to let the doctor who already saw me decide whether and what tests to run.

Considering that my doctor already sent me a letter pretty much saying, "Your monospot test was positive. Have a nice life." I'm not at all sure that she'll be gung-ho on following up on this.

My concern is that some of the titers have a pretty short window of opportunity during which they are useful for determining whether it's a recent or older infection. One thing they test for is only present for the first 4 weeks of the illness. Since this current illness or flare-up started about 3 and 1/2 or 4 weeks ago, I'm concerned that waiting the extra week might make it harder to get helpful results.

Now it's 7PM and my body is telling me I'm done for the day. "Need. Sleep. Now." I think I'll head to bed. Hopefully tomorrow will be another day of improvement.

LOL, if only you could see what these posts lately have looked like before corrections. Thank goodness for the backspace key and for spell-check.

Labels: ,


2 Comments:

Blogger Liz Miller said...

Sending hugs and love to you.

Any chance you can switch doctors at that clinic? Sounds like the other one is a better fit for you.

7:02 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

I'm glad you are feeling better. I did find it a little odd that you would just get a letter saying you had mono and, given your other issues, nothing else would be scheduled.
Your body has worked so hard to help you push through these last few years. I wonder if your adrenals are fatigued as well, which can cause a chain reaction of other issues to occur. Well, one step at a time.
Nice that you have help and the kids are fairly good natured about it all.

10:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home