Saturday, April 05, 2008

Not Just a Kissing Disease

When I told my MIL that I had mono, she replied (jokingly?), "Who have you been kissing?!"

"Just my husband."

I had to chuckle, because he's the only one I've ever kissed. (Our wedding "you may kiss the bride" kiss was our first kiss--for both of us.)

Even though it's known as "the kissing disease," mono can be spread by things like coughing, sneezing or sharing food, too.

Just so you know.

Most people (perhaps 95%) have had it by age 40, but it's often asymptomatic. Many people don't even know they're carrying it.

Labels:


4 Comments:

Blogger Madeleine said...

Poor dear! I hope lots of rest helps you get through this.

I had mono during college and it was no fun. I had been kissing a couple of people around then, and neither of them ever developed symptoms. That would have been a nice parting gift for the person I was breaking up with, hunh? But I never did find out where I got it.

5:36 PM  
Blogger ccw said...

I've never had mono but I hear it is no fun. Hope you are well and able to kiss soon.

10:48 AM  
Blogger Liz Miller said...

I figured I got it through lots of hand-shaking and then biting my fingernails without adequate hand-washing.

Yet another reason to rid myself of that habit.

But...that probably isn't how you got it so...maybe I transmitted it to you through teh internet?

3:31 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Madeleine, college is a hard time to get mono. I'm so glad I don't have to be studying or going to classes while feeling this way.

CCW, hi! Thanks so much for stopping by.

Liz, I don't think I caught it from you. :)

7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home