Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day 2008

group hug

Like many women, I rarely like seeing photographs of myself. I prefer to be the person behind the camera.

A few years ago, though, I read an essay by a woman whose mother had died. As the children went through family photos, they discovered that they had very few photos of their mother. There were almost no photos of the mother and her children together. Looking at the photo albums, one would have almost thought the children had no mother. She was essentially absent from the photographic family history.

As my eyes filled with tears over the woman's ache at the missing photos, I vowed that my children would not grow up to have photo albums void of their mother. No matter how un-photogenic I think I am, my kids need to have pictures of their childhood that include both parents. Since then I've made a point to make sure some of our candid photos include me, DH, or both of us.

Mother's Day seemed like a perfect opportunity to have DH take some pictures of me with the kids. I even liked the way some of them turned out.

relaxing

train

Labels: , ,


8 Comments:

Blogger Rev Dr Mom said...

Lovely.

And btw, your new haircut look great!

6:39 AM  
Blogger Kevin said...

Such cute hugs! :)

11:35 AM  
Blogger Kevin said...

Oh, and Happy Mother's Day! :)

11:36 AM  
Blogger Madeleine said...

Gawjus!

8:20 PM  
Blogger swissmiss said...

That is a great reminder. I am the same way and this is something I think I'll do too. Thanks for posting this. And you all look so happy!

8:39 AM  
Blogger ccw said...

I love that last picture!

A great reminder that I need to get out from behind the camera more often.

4:52 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

I don't like having my picture taken but have been working to get over it for pretty much the same reason. Thanks for the great reminder. Love the first picture!

9:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting your thoughts regarding having the entire family in photos. I really helps drive the point home.

Absolutely beautiful photographs as well!

Please come and visit.
And Happy WW!

12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home