Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Banana Waffles

I'm beginning to get decidedly uncomfortable, but am killing time until it's time to go to the hospital. I'm really hoping that will be today.

Here's what we had for breakfast this morning: Banana Waffles



This recipe is from one of my favorite cookbooks . . . a two-volume set I picked up at a little antique shop. Originally printed in 1947, mine is from the 9th printing--Dec 1957. Meta Given's Modern Encyclopedia of Cooking. It has a lot of great recipes in it you won't find elsewhere--everything from baked quinces to stewed possum.

Banana Waffles

2 cups all-purpose flour
3 tsp D.A. baking powder (or 3 1/2 tsp tartrate or phosphate type)
1 Tbs sugar
3/4 tsp salt
3 eggs
1 and 1/2 cups milk
1/3 cup melted shortening
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2 bananas)

Sift flour, measure and resift 3 times with remaining dry ingredients. Beat eggs, add milk and shortening. Pour into dry ingredients, add bananas and beat until smooth. Use 1/2 cup batter for each waffle. Bake in a hot waffle iron until golden brown. Serve immediately with butter and hot syrup. Six 7-inch waffles.


It's a pretty foolproof recipe. I substitute freely (non-dairy milk, various kinds of flour, oil instead of shortening) and don't bother with the sifting part (just stir dry ingredients together and use a hand-mixer to blend in the wet ones). If you want the waffles really fluffy, separate the eggs, beat the whites and fold them in last. I haven't tried substituting anything for the eggs, but you could probably add applesauce or something for a vegetarian version?

5 Comments:

Blogger halloweenlover said...

Yum! Thanks for the recipe. I'll try them this weekend!

12:24 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My kids would love these!

10:04 AM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Let me know how it goes if you try the recipe . . . they're really good with chocolate chips in them too. We often eat them without syrup. :)

11:05 AM  
Blogger MamaGeph said...

Ooh, easy AND delish! My favorite kind of recipe. I'm going to try it tonight.

4:49 PM  
Anonymous Nekol said...

Thanks for the recipe! It's the only one I use. Tip: I melt the butter and bananas together in the microwave for 45 seconds and mash them together.

10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home