Sunday, July 31, 2005

Distraction, please!

I am going crazy sitting around timing these contractions. They've been 5-10 minutes apart most of the day. Uncomfortable, but still quite mild. I'd be getting excited but after 5 1/2 weeks of this it just isn't that exciting any more.

However, if it keeps up or intensifies in the next few hours I may give the midwife a call just to see if she wants to check and see whether we've made any progress since Wednesday. Then again, maybe not. By this point I'm thinking unless the contractions are knocking me off my feet they're probably not the real thing.

Church was wonderful this morning--I especially enjoyed the worship and the service after missing last week. Everyone kept joking after the service that everyone prayed so hard that this baby wouldn't be born 5 1/2 weeks ago when I started having lots of prelabor, that we made her late. I told them all they can STOP praying she won't be born yet and start praying for the opposite!

We had some friends over for lunch (the rest of the chicken enchiladas, which were fabulous) and had an afternoon rest. Now we're trying to catch up on some things around the house. I think we'll probably watch a movie tonight to try to give me something besides timing contractions to think about.

9 Comments:

Blogger Liz Miller said...

Oy gevalt! I hope you get lots of sleep tonight and that tomorrow will be the day for you.

6:14 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

They have been every 10 minutes on the dot for the past 2-3 hours. So annoying, LOL.

7:27 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

BTW, Liz, I'm sure this is a dumb question, but I've never heard the phrase "oy gevalt" before. I'd love to know the origin and precise meaning (I can guess from the context)?

7:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there. I followed you here from Phantom Scribbler's.

You have charmingly cute kids. Good luck with getting #3 here. I hope the contractions have gotten closer or she's already here!

7:39 PM  
Blogger Rambler said...

Goodness! good luck! Think of it this way... at least you got to experience the *real* thing! mine was induced.... a contraction after every 5 minutes....at the start!! after 4 hours they operated on me.. :( At that time i was glad.... i would faint at every contraction...and wake up just to experience another one!!!

11:27 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Thanks, anonymous and blogwriter! Welcome to my blog.

1:18 AM  
Blogger Richard Lawrence Cohen said...

PK: "Oy gevalt" is a common Yiddish expression, a cry of anguish or grief or a cry for help, often used comically or ironically.

6:34 AM  
Blogger Liz Miller said...

rlc got there ahead of me. I'm culturally Jewish and my whole constellation of relatives are from the part of the world that used to be the Eastern Bloc. Lots of Yiddish floating around at family reunions!

8:43 AM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Thanks, RLC and Liz . . . I figured it must be something like that! In my family most of the phrases like that floating around are in Spanish. :)

9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home