Thursday, July 28, 2005

No, I haven't had the baby yet

Wow, I have by far the all-time highest number of hits ever on my blog today. Since so many of you are apparently checking in every hour or so to see if I've really gone into labor yet (I haven't), I thought I'd post something new for you.

I am, BTW, feeling better today, though still tired, and having only sporadic contractions. Official due date is tomorrow by the dates or 2 days ago by the ultrasound, making this baby far later than either of my other two in making her appearance. I've been in prelabor/false labor/whatever you want to call it (I call it annoying!) for 5 weeks today.

Since I'm lazy, I'm just going to copy and paste something (slightly revised) from the comments below. Sorry. Maybe later I'll talk DH into letting me take a picture of his humongous discolored toe to give you all something new to look at. Then again, maybe not.

I mentioned that I was embarrassed at crying through my midwife appointment yesterday. That silent cascade of tears actually lasted off and on until I got home and laid down for a nap.

It wasn't so much the midwife I was embarrassed at crying in front of, as my kids. I'm sure the midwife is used to it--obviously she deals with hormonal pregnant women all day long.

When we walked into the clinic, the first thing A said was to the nurse: "My Mommy is sick!"

They went in expecting the "doctor" to "fix" Mommy and make me all better on the spot.

When I started crying they were going back and forth between me, the midwife and DH:

"Doctor, doctor, my mommy is sick. Can you please fix her?"

"Mommy, are you crying?"

"Daddy, Mommy is crying!"

"Doctor, Doctor, excuse me Doctor . . . are you going to fix my mommy?"

I said, "Yes, Mommy is crying, but it's ok. I'm just tired and don't feel good. Don't worry."

Then I just had to add, "But Mommy is crying quietly, see?" (We have a family rule that unless you're actually injured, in most cases after a few minutes you either need to cry quietly or go to your room to throw your tantrum where the rest of the household doesn't have to listen to it.)

DH muttered under his breath, "And Mommy can turn anything into a lesson."

I don't think that was a compliment. :)

6 Comments:

Blogger KLee said...

Poor P_K. I remember being overdue, and so desperate to have that baby **out** that I attempted to bribe my doctor. Well, I was hormonal! I'm sure that you understand.

I hope baby E makes it soon. I hope that your labor is short, sweet, and as painless as possible.

The baby shall be beautiful, and Mom will get to finally rest for about five minutes. (((Hugs for Mom!)))

5:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe that, in your state, you had time to come by my blog and leave a nice comment. My Lord, what were you thinking? And, thanks. Sending you urgent wishes for full dilation, smooth delivery and healthy baby.

6:41 AM  
Blogger Liz Miller said...

Thinking smooth, happy, short labor and delivery thoughts.

Bug hugs to you!

8:28 AM  
Blogger Running2Ks said...

I am one of those who checks in often. But it is coming--no one keeps a baby in for a year :) I know it sucks. I do I do I do. But soon you will have your bundle.

9:08 AM  
Blogger halloweenlover said...

Oh geez, that made me laugh.

Spicy food! Jump up and down! Dance! I don't know what to suggest. This baby is the latest you have had? Hrumph. That is not fair.

I am touchy about people crying in front of kids, too. You have a legitimate reason, I'd be crying too! I have friends that have cried for silly reasons, though, and I always worry that the kids will be traumatized. I love that you were crying quietly too!

1:08 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

We're trying all the safe, non-chemical "old wives tales" things for starting labor, but I don't think they work unless the baby is really ready to be born. I might be tempted to try to bribe the midwife at our next appointment if baby hasn't come by then. :)

halloweenlover, I have mixed feelings about crying in front of kids. I think they need to know that even adults sometimes cry and it doesn't have to be shameful or a big deal. Seeing adults cry and handle it well can I think be a good thing. But I also don't want them to see me crying a lot because (a) I really want to avoid using emotional manipulation of any kind with them, and that can be a slippery slope, and (b) because they worry about me. Also, as you mentioned, I don't want them to learn by example to cry at every little thing all the time.

10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home