Saturday, July 30, 2005

Free Garage Sale

We decided to go out garage sale shopping this afternoon (yes, in this heat!) and saw a sign that said "Garage Sale--Everything Free!"

Of course we had to check it out. It wasn't just junk as we excpected it might be. They had some really nice things--everything from some small furniture to kids' toys and baby items.

I guessed the woman running the garage sale had to be a flybaby. I was right. FlyLady highly recommends that if you have a garage sale, you make everything free and just get rid of the stuff. This family had started out with prices on everything, but after an extremely low turnout today they decided just to make everything free a la FlyLady.

We had a great chat about FLYing, decluttering & organization, babies and kids. She seems like a really nice lady and has kids near my kids' ages. Since she lives just down the street, we exchanged e-mail addresses and hopefully we'll get together for a playdate at the nearby park sometime.

We came home with a ton of baby blankets, a bedding set and a few other items, a clothes valet (a.k.a. butler stand) for the bedroom, and a few books and toys for the kids. M even got the toy shopping cart (complete with plastic food) she's been begging for. You can't beat a free garage sale! And, I may even have made a friend.

DH just put the chicken enchiladas in the oven (did I mention he's also taken responsibility for all meals on weekends?), so we'll be having a somewhat spicy dinner, after which I intend to take a brisk walk. We'll probably try another "old wives" remedy or two also. ;-) Maybe, just maybe, that will kick up these contractions from every 10-20 minutes to a higher intensity and frequency. If not, we have another pleasant day planned for tomorrow. I refuse to just sit around waiting to go into labor.

7 Comments:

Blogger ccw said...

I just found your blog via Phantom Scribbler. I was laughing at the spicy dinner and a walk. Both my girls come only after induction at 42 weeks. I tried every old wives tale I could find. Obviously, none worked, but my babies repaid me by allowing me short labor (7 1/2 hrs, and 3 hrs).

I hope you find something that works for you, being overdue is no fun.

7:38 PM  
Blogger Liz Miller said...

Kick that baby out! We want to see pictures of fingers and toes!

8:38 PM  
Blogger Running2Ks said...

One warning about the castor oil--ok, a few--since I did it.

1. If you aren't ready to go, it won't work and it makes for a miserable evening.
2. There are debates about safety, but I wasn't sure about those.

Two advantages (for me)--the labor when FAST! And I didn't have to poop for days after giving birth.

Just saying, in case you look at that old wives thing. But I don't suggest anyone should take off-label meds without consulting their midwife/doctor.

Freecycle.org is another great way to get--and trade--free stuff.

7:26 AM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

CCW, welcome! I had a short labor with my last baby so am hoping for that again with this one.

Liz, I'm trying, but she won't be kicked. :)

R2K, actually castor oil is not something I'm even tempted to try. I've had some of the symptoms it causes off and on for a week or two anyway, and keep thinking it's a sign of impending labor LOL. I would be concerned about dehydration and stripping my system of necessary minerals by artificially inducint diarrhea anyway.

I've heard about freecycle; I tried to check it out the other day but tried .com instead of .org--thanks for the correct address!

10:25 AM  
Blogger Allison said...

Y'know, as soon as I read the words "Free Garage Sale," I knew it would be a flybaby too. Love it.

I also tried castor oil, with my first baby (2 weeks overdue, 9 lbs. 4 oz., lots of contractions, baby not engaged, cervix hard as a rock). Yick. It caused a few more contractions, along with nasty oily burps and horrific diarrhea. But it doesn't ripen an unripe cervix, so it didn't help me at all.

I have to laugh at the spicy food recommendations, since I craved (and ate) spicy food continuously with all 3 pregnancies and went overdue each time. Really, though, it's one of the silliest of wives' tales -- it's not like no one in Mexico ever goes to term. My advice, if I were to give any, would be to try to enjoy yourself and get in as many dates with your husband as you can before the baby comes (and when folks look at your belly and ask nervously, "When are you do?" just enjoy the look on their faces when you tell them, "Last week." I never got such awesome service at restaurants and stores!)

Good luck, again!

7:05 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

Aargh, typos! Sorry.

7:06 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Allison, good point about the spicy food. Maybe, just possibly, it might have more of an effect on someone who rarely eats spicy foods?

What's funny to me is the people in grocery stores, etc. who ask when you're due and then back s l o w l y away saying something like, "Well, don't have the baby right now, please like they're afraid you're going to drop it in the middle of the aisle then and there. I might have to write a post about that one. :)

7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home