Thursday, July 28, 2005

Sleep is a wonderful thing

OK, so I went to bed right after we got home from the midwife yesterday afternoon around 3:30 in the afternoon.

Next thing I knew I was waking up at 8pm and DH was putting the kids to bed.

M came in a little while later whispering, "Mommy, I a-fegot to give you a hug and a kiss!" ("I forgot" is always one word to her.) She climbed up, kissed me gently on the cheek, gave me a hug, rubbed noses, whispered "I love you and God loves you" in my ear and toddled happily back to bed. What a sweetie! (Her elbow seems fine, BTW.)

I got up long enough to go to the bathroom, check e-mail and drink a huge glass of water, then went back to bed. Finally got up and ate some chicken rice soup around 10, then went back to sleep for the rest of the night. With brief wakings to haul myself out of bed and use the bathroom, I slept all night.

Of course, since I drank a huge glass of water every time I got up, I was up every couple of hours. Never before have I found myself thinking wishfully of bedpans before. That's an odd feeling. But since the midwife said so many contractions the last few days were quite possibly the result of dehydration with this heat, I kept drinking water.

A came in around 7:30 a.m. to ask if it was time to get up yet (it wasn't). She stroked my cheek with her hand and gave me a hug. Then, on her way back to her room she paused in the doorway and asked, "Mom, do you need anyfing?" I thanked her and said no, but it made me start my day with a smile. I went back to sleep thinking what great kids I have.

Anyway, DH got up, fed the kids and turned on a Babysongs video for the kids before he left. They finally came in around 9:30 and woke me up.

Wow. I haven't slept like this since the "come home from college and sleep for the first few days of summer vacation" days. Drinking lots of water did help settle down the contractions, and now that I know nothing major is really happening yet I've been able to relax and ignore all the odd sensations in my abdomen and just rest.

Today I'm still really tired, but all that sleep and water seemed to help my cold a bit. So I do feel somewhat better, although still sick. I realized I've gotten myself into a cycle where I feel better and then overdo it and end up feeling horrible. I really want to be doing all kinds of things, nesting and all that great stuff, but I'm going to take it easy for the next few days no matter how good I feel. So if you see me overdoing it just slap me or something, OK?

BTW, think of my DH today . . . he managed to do something horrendous to a toe while playing with the kids last night. Poor thing--he hit it on something and by this morning he can hardly walk. As he said last night, "I guess today was injury-prone day for our family."

9 Comments:

Blogger Running2Ks said...

Rest up. The end is near and you'll be awake too many nights.

12:54 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Too true.

1:32 PM  
Blogger halloweenlover said...

Oh, I am so glad you slept a good long amount of time last night. You must be exhausted and tired of all the grinding and the lack of sleep. Since you haven't posted today, I have fingers crossed that perhaps you are a family of 5!

Good luck!

2:32 PM  
Blogger halloweenlover said...

Wait, I just realized that I was thinking that today is FRIDAY, but its actually THURSDAY.

I still hope you are a family of 5 SOON, but I guess not yet.

I am tired, can you tell?

2:35 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

LOL, sounds like you need a nap too. Tomorrow is my "official due date" so we'll see what, if anything, happens. :)

I'm starting to wonder if maybe I just imagined there's a baby in my belly waiting to come out. Maybe I've really been inhabited by an alien that's planning to take up residence in my body forever.

2:51 PM  
Blogger Deborah White said...

Still home???

Well, I still praying, too. :)

4:13 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Yep, still home. I'm about to take another nap, actually. And I very much appreciate the prayers--thanks.

4:30 PM  
Blogger BrightStar (B*) said...

I keep checking the blog for whether or not there is a new baby. :) But I suppose you'd like to know when more than any of us. :)

5:01 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Don't worry, I have every intention of posting before I go to the hospital if it looks like I'm actually going into labor.

5:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home