Thursday, August 11, 2005

We Have a Belly Button!

Newsflash: Baby E's umbilical cord stump just fell off. She's reached the first major milestone of infanthood. Congratulations, Baby E!

And, Baby E and I just had our first trip out by ourselves, without DH and the girls. We went to the naturopath for Bowen treatments (sort of like chiropractic, but gentler) and then to the outlet mall near there to buy just one item. I had actually been planning to go to two stores, but after the doctor and the first shop I was too tired and came straight home.

Baby E only needed to nurse once during the whole trip. The rest of the time she stayed pretty happy. Overall, I would say the outing was very successful.

The whole family had a very sleepless night last night, between bedwetting (M), potty anxiety (A), snoring (DH), nursing (Baby E and me), and Baby E's crib alarm going off (that really scared me, since I don't know if there was some kind of malfunction or if she actually stopped breathing), so at this point I'm going to feed her and try to get a nap--hopefully a longish one.

BTW, several people commented that they can't believe I have the energy to blog at this point. For me, blogging (at least the type I'm doing at the moment) is more energizing than draining. One of my favorite texbooks in college was called "Creative Writing for People who Can't Not Write." I'm one of those people who can't not write. Writing is how I process things and I find it helpful and relaxing. Plus, blogging is the quickest and easiest way to keep family and friends updated on our lives. And, since I'm not keeping a baby book it's a great way to record Baby E's milestones, birth story, etc. for posterity.

You're likely to see more blogging as I'm able to nurse one-handed more--not too many other things I can do one-handed while sitting down.

I must say Phantom Scribbler's Wednesday Whine was particularly theraputic. Not to mention that I won the contest for "whine of substance" this week. Thank you, thank you. It's all in good fun.

Now head on over to R2K's shiny new place to take part in the Thankful Thursday sharing, which is always fun and uplifting. (You did say I could link, right R2K? I don't think you'll pick up many trolls at my place. :) )

9 Comments:

Blogger Liz Miller said...

Yay Bellybutton! Yay trip out! Yay only nursing once during the trip!!!!

2:39 PM  
Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

Hooray for the belly button! I gotta admit, those little stumps always creeped me out.

3:26 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

I agree aout the stumps being icky. A belly buttons is much cuter than an oozing, dried-out, rotting (okay maybe not really rotting, but it looks like it) stump.

DH jokingly asked if I wanted to keep it to put in the baby book and I just said yuck! I didn't want to keep the clip either when they offered it to me at the hospital, thank you very much.

I prefer keepsakes like footprints and locks of hair--although I will most likely keep their first teeth when they fall out.

3:42 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

My goodness, look at the typos. You'd never guess I'm tired or anything, would you? *shaking head*

6:58 PM  
Blogger ccw said...

Belly stumps! I still have my oldest's in her book. I threw it away and my niece retrieved it for us b/c she thought we had made a mistake. How could I not keep it after that? Baby H's went straight in to the trash.

So glad you were able to get out. I am amazed by your energy. Please, send some my way.

8:00 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

CCW, I don't actually have energy--I just fake it really well. I've been doing it for years. :)

9:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um, I hope you aren't counting on this blog being available to your grandchildren unless you back it up yourself. I haven't been a Xanga member for more than 6 months and already over half the comments are missing.

4:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome! Great news! Sorry about the alarm--scary, but I hear that they can misfire.

And thanks for the plug :) Yes, you can link, and I appreciate that :) Now I'm off to vacuum up plaster--the souvenir from our sleepless night.

9:32 AM  
Blogger Yankee, Transferred said...

My first trip over here since the photos were posted-she is absolutely adorable!

9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home