Monday, January 16, 2006

So, what can you eat?

I'm getting that question a lot lately. After my last few blog posts, I've had a few phone calls from people who are worrying that we're either starving or headed for malnutrition. I don't think we are, yet. :)

#############################

We've given up on the rotation diet for now. It was too difficult, and until I have a chance to actually sit down and plan menus a week or two in advance something like that just isn't going to work for us. So, we're just trying to make sure we have a good variety of healthy foods.

Some of the things I've cut out of our diet are only temporary, hopefully. I'm cutting them out, allowing a few days for them to clear from my system, and then reintroducing them one at a time while watching carefully for reactions.

Everyone else in the family is back to eating wheat in moderation; I plan to introduce it to my diet sometime in the next few days. We're all avoiding dairy products, refined sugars, and trying to cut back a bit on preservatives and processed foods. Other than that, most of the dietary restrictions (soy, etc.) are just for me (well, really for Baby E but since what I eat goes to her . . . ). Mainly we're just trying to eat a more healthy and varied diet.

We're eating more fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and unprocessed meats. Less sugar and refined starchy food.

Our menu for today:

Breakfast: grapes, whole grain bread or cereal, rice milk (often we have eggs for breakfast, but I am avoiding eggs for a few days to see if that's what has been bothering Baby E.)

Snack: apple/carrot juice diluted with water.

Lunch: chicken thighs, muffins made of whole-grain barley and buckwheat flour with applesauce for sweetener, sliced cucumber, water

Snack: canned pears, raw cauliflower or baby carrots, water

Dinner: Browned ground beef with rattatouille (made with eggplant, yellow squash, zucchini, mushrooms, tomatoes and several other vegetables in a white wine sauce), served over quinoa. Perhaps a salad. Apple juice diluted with water, or just water.

Dessert: Carob rice milk (maybe chocolate almond milk with turbinado sugar for those who can have it), Gummi bear whole-food vitamins plus a calcium supplement for the kids, my regular prenatal/nursing vitamins and a calcium supplement for me. I may make a raspberry pie or a smoothie sweetened with white grape juice, too.

Baby E is eating a little whole-grain brown rice cereal now. She loves it, and seems to handle it well. I'm hoping that will help her nurse a little less constantly, especially at night. Tonight I plan to introduce pears to her diet. She is almost 6 months old and constantly hungry, and seems quite ready for solids.

Last night, we had spaghetti with a marinara and meat sauce. I had mine over millet instead of spaghetti noodles. Tomorrow we'll probaby make chicken pot pie with the leftover chicken from today's lunch. Next week sometime I want to try an intriguing recipe for New England style clam chowder made with cashew nut milk.

Don't worry; we're not starving.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And for those of you that know us and are concerned about my mental health on such a diet... the "we all" in this post applies only to the females in the household. I eat whatever I want (after the children go to bed). :)

Mark

4:10 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

And at work, too. The only time any of this really affects you is dinner. :)

4:58 PM  
Blogger Liz Miller said...

I hope that you can figure out just exactly WHAT food it is that is causing you problems.

Big hugs here.

6:44 PM  
Blogger ccw said...

Glad to read that you are all eating good food. I was concerned that you were going to be reduced to air. I hope you get everything figured out so that meal time is easier.

9:32 AM  
Blogger Sparrow said...

"So what can you eat?" LOL I get that question almost every day...

9:37 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Hello all! I've found your blog while searching for help for my daughter. She has suffered from IBS for the last 3 years or so and just recently had "delayed onset" allergy testing done. The two big ones that we found she is allergic to are sugar (including honey, maple syrup, etc.) and white rice. Of course, she has been eating a ton of white rice ever since she started feeling sick. It was one of the first things every single doctor recommended. Thank you for sharing. I'm going to continue reading your posts for more ideas.

4:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home