Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Worms



AJ: "Mom, look! I found a worm. It was here in the dirt."



"It's a really nice worm. See? Can we take him inside and keep him as a pet? Pleeease?"

##########################

I guess you could. I'll get you a jar for him.

AJ: We can put the worm right next to the hamster. The worm can be the hamster's friend, and the hamster will be the worm's friend. They'll keep each other company.

MM: Can I see the woim? Wow!!! Can I hold him?"

AJ: "Sure. But be careful. Don't break him."



MM: "He's so cuuute."

AJ: "His name is Jake."



Ok, girls, here's a jar to put him in. But if he comes in the house, he has to stay in the jar.

"Okay, Mom. Look, isn't he cute?"



AJ: "Let's put lots of dirt in the jar. He lives in the dirt and eats it."

MM: "Mom, we're digging the diwt with our shovels to put in the joi. We're putting diwt on top of Jake."

Great job, girls. But Jake looks a little squished under all that dirt; I think it's a bit heavy for him. Maybe you should try dumping the dirt into your bucket and taking Jake out, then putting the dirt back in and putting the worm on top of the dirt so he can dig a tunnel.

No, wait! Not in the house. Take it outside first, please. No taking the worm out or dumping dirt out in the house, OK? Any dirt-dumping has to happen outside."


"Okay."

MM: "Oh, look! Jake came out in the diwt. I'm going to hold him. . . . Oh, there's anothah lil woim."

AJ: That's a piece of Jake, I think.

MM: "Oh, no!!! I bwoke the woim. I bwoke him."

[pause]

MM: "Now we have two woims. I bwoke the woim!"

AJ: "That's okay. He'll grow back together again. His head will grow, and his tail will grow, and then he'll have a wife. We'll call his wife Jessie."




Later, digging in the dirt again:

MM: "Look, here's anothah lil woim!"

AJ: "It's a baby worm."

MM: "Put it in the joi! Put it in, put it in, put it in!"

AJ: "Okay. Then you won't break it. We'll name the baby Jessica. Let's find two more worms to be its Mommy and Daddy."

AJ: "Here's another worm."

MM: "No, that's not a woim, it's a . . . it's just . . . not a woim."

AJ: "Mom, we found a baby worm! And we're going to find two more worms to be the Momma and Poppa."

14 Comments:

Blogger Gord said...

THat is just priceless. I trust that such scientific curiosity will continue to be nurtured (although it may make the house a little bti messy).

7:00 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

How cute...that inspired me to write my own "bugg-y" post! Kids are so funny!

6:22 AM  
Blogger ccw said...

So cute! Reminds me of Kid L. She used to play house with worms. Of course, they always died so I would have to replace them when she wasn't looking.

7:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Woim"! "Diwt"! "Joi"! "Now we have two woims. I bwoke the woim!"!!

I love it! :) It doesn't get ANY cuter than that.

Despite the fact that worms completely gross me out, I love that post. I felt like I was there. :)

So, does the hamster have two or three entire generations of worms living next door now?

8:45 AM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Actually, they lost the worm somewhere in the pile of dirt. Which is probably just as well, as manhandled as the poor thing was.

11:21 AM  
Blogger Becci said...

That is too cute. I love when kids have there own little way of pronouncing things. I knew a little boy that said "th" in the place of "f" and sicken instead of chicken....

8:14 PM  
Blogger Liz Miller said...

So adorable.

9:00 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

That is cute

11:22 PM  
Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

omg, that's hilarious and so precious. with those two, i bet you have tons of fun stories to share. :)

8:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love it! Love seeing them play with worms and wanting to bring them in.

I know an aunt who would love to see those cute little cowgirl boots. :-)

2:53 PM  
Blogger Sparrow said...

This is classic laugh out loud dialog. Thanks for recording it for us. LOL!!

3:49 PM  
Blogger Red Baron said...

That is SOOOoooo cute!

6:59 PM  
Blogger Moreena said...

Oh I am so glad Phantom pointed me over here. She was right - it was a bad week for worms all around.

But they are so endlessly fascinating.

7:55 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

I'm so glad this post seemed to bring a chuckle for a lot of people. I'm really enjoying reading everyone's stories and comments related to worms.

Thanks, all.

12:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home