Thursday, May 22, 2008

A parent's worry

Steven Curtis Chapman's little 5-year-old daughter Maria Sue was killed in their driveway when one of the older Chapman kids accidentally ran over her yesterday. I really feel for the family, and especially for Maria's big brother who was driving the car. That would be so hard.

It's an important reminder to always, always check behind your vehicle before backing up or driving off, and make sure all kids are accounted for and well out of the way.

I hadn't previously heard this song that SCC wrote for his daughters. It's so beautiful, about treasuring the time with them while they're little because before you know it they'll be gone. It made me cry today.

AJ came in while I was watching the video, listening to the song and crying. She wanted to see what it was all about. I tried to explain it gently and in an age-appropriate way. It upset her quite a bit, though.

She was concerned about the little girl and her family, and very upset that a 5-year-old could die.

She said, "But now she'll never get to grow up! Never, never! [sob]

What about the little boy that was waiting for her to grow up so they could get married? What will he do now?

How could God let a 5-year-old get killed like that? She didn't even get to grow up! How could God let her die, when she was still a little girl?"


With tears in my eyes, I said that I don't understand it, either. But that God knew before Maria was even born how long her life would be, and what His plan was for her. That we didn't understand why, but that she was in Heaven now with Him and would never have any more sorrow or pain, and that her family would see her again some day.

Labels:


3 Comments:

Blogger Liz Miller said...

Oh my dear Lord. My heart goes out to their family.

9:12 PM  
Blogger Laury said...

AJ sounds like a Wiley:) That is very sad what this family is going through. Thank you for sharing this.
Laury

11:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a sad tragedy - for their whole family. I can't even imagine the pain the brother is going through.

1:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home