Monday, August 25, 2008

Piano

Now that the living room is all cleared out and decluttered (hooray!), the piano is accessible again. AJ decided that she wanted to learn how to play, so DH started teaching her. Having two parents who play the piano is helpful. One of us is always there to answer questions, give tips and encouragement, or teach the next step.

AJ is loving it, and has really taken off with it. She diligently practices her C scale and her little beginner songs several times a day with no prompting. At the moment she's playing and singing, "This is up. This is down. Let's go up and down. Let's go up to here. Let's go down again . . . "

M&M is starting to learn a bit too.

In this, as in all things, the difference in their personalities shines out. AJ is intensely focused on learning the mechanics, getting it right, and practicing the correct fingering and notes to get it perfect and learn the foundational truths of piano-playing. So far M&M wants to learn songs that are familiar to her, and wants the music she makes to be beautiful.

It's such a joy to see them both enjoying the piano and wanting to practice. I'm sure that both girls will blossom in their musical ability with their own distinct style.

Labels: ,


5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

That's so wonderful. I play the piano, but my son takes lessons from someone else (even though I've taught them for several years). It just didn't work with the two of us. As it is he's soooooo not thrilled with the whole piano lesson thing. I wish I could get him a bit more enthused.

2:15 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

"This is up. This is down. Let's go up and down. Let's go up to here. Let's go down again . . . "

I know that song!! Next comes "Hot Cross Buns" right?

I'm glad your kids are practicing on their own--that was the part of lessons I just couldn't handle when I was a kid. I think I made it through book two or three, but just got tired of practice, practice, practice.

I realize now, I wish I'd spent a little more time practicing so I could play more than just one-handed ditties out of the basic method books. One day, maybe I'll take lessons again. I just need to remember not to compare myself with Adam and what he can do on the piano!

2:37 PM  
Blogger CalvaryGirl said...

aawww!! I tried to learn the piano when I was in 6th grade but I think my wrists were too weak. I played the violin instead ;) So that's what we're hoping the kids will take to. I would love for them to start soon too!!

2:43 PM  
Blogger Sparrow said...

Thanks, now I'm gonna have "This is up. This is down." running through my head all day. ;-) LOL

So glad the girls are learning the piano. It's such a helpful skill to have.

12:35 PM  
Blogger Liz Miller said...

Lovely!

7:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home