Monday, August 11, 2008

Busy, but Good

I haven't blogged much lately because I've been too busy doing other things--good things!

For the last couple of weeks, I've finally been feeling much better. I feel like I'm finally over mono and back to "my normal". I have so much more energy and endurance. I still have to pace myself, and the pain levels still fluctuate (worse when I overdo it, of course), but life is manageable and enjoyable again.

The morning I woke up and started eagerly planning projects in my head, I knew I was finally on the mend. It was so strange for me, all those months, to not even have the energy to be interested in any projects or creative outlets. Usually I have several things going at once and dozens more being planned in my head.

In the last few weeks I've turned the mass of weeds in the corner of the back yard into a lovely vegetable garden, gotten the front lawn and flowerbeds under control, entered projects in the fair, gone on outings with family and friends (including two trips to the fair), made huge progress on decluttering and organizing our home, and even started crocheting again.

####################################

On Friday SIL The Mentor came over and helped me get the office arrangement and organization close to completion. Last night a friend of DH's came over to help move furniture. We got the old ugly file cabinet out of the office, rearranged the kids' bedrooms, and set up the cute plastic dollhouse bedframe I got for free and scrubbed up from years of being outdoors.

Now the bunk beds are set up as two separate beds in the bigger bedroom, with the trundle bed stowed away under one. The little yellow bedroom just has the twin dollhouse bed in it, and it's so much less crowded-looking than with the twin-over-full bunk in that small room. We haven't decided for sure yet who will sleep where.

Of course, all the kids want the pretty little house bed. But both M&M and Ebee really don't like sleeping alone, and AJ really needs her time alone. So I expect that AJ will end up having the yellow bedroom and the other two girls will share the larger room. Or they'll all end up in the bigger room and the yellow room will just be a guest room and extra playroom.

Ebee's birthday was on the 3rd, so she's 3 now. Since illness was going around our family that week, we just had a quiet little family party at home with chocolate cupcakes and a few gifts. She is such a delight, and so happy and healthy.

Today we're planning to go pick up our exhibits from the fair and continue working on getting the house decluttered and organized. I'm hoping to have the house and yard projects finished before we start school, so I'm pretty much spending every spare bit of time and energy on that at the moment.

Once we're done getting the house and yard in order, we're hoping to get a dog eventually. We've been wanting one for years, but wanted to wait until life settled down and the kids were older. AJ is especially longing for a dog. I think it would be really good for her, and she will be able to do quite a bit of the daily care with my help and supervision.

We're looking at most likely getting a shelter dog or rescue--a young adult female somewhere between Yorkie and Australian Shepherd in size (medium to small, but not tiny--probably between 20 and 45 lbs). We want one that's gentle and good with kids and not aggressive with other dogs, already housetrained, and preferably already good on a leash. Hopefully one that's relatively young and healthy, and has a coat that's not too matt-prone or difficult to care for.

We're hoping to get AJ (and possibly M&M, if she shows interest) involved in 4-H this year or next, so we want a dog that will be a good candidate for showing in areas like obedience and possibly agility.

Of course, it doesn't have to be a purebred to show in 4-H, so we are looking at both single-breed dogs and mixed breeds--perhaps a sheltie or other sheep-herding mix. I had a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel as a kid, and would love to have one of those, but we're open to just about any breed that doesn't have tendencies to be too high-strung or aggressive.

The prospect of a dog is really good motivation for all of us. The kids and I have posted lists of our chores and daily tasks with a reminder that we're working to develop enough responsibility and consistency to get a pet. We even have a picture of a little Shetland Sheepdog/American Eskimo mix up on the wall smiling at us.

So far it's been keeping us very motivated. After a few months of keeping it up daily, I think we'll have made great progress in forming good habits and keeping life manageable.

Labels: , ,


4 Comments:

Blogger Sparrow said...

So glad things are going well! :-)

3:28 PM  
Blogger Carolynn from Western Australia said...

PK, I'm delighted that things are improving health wise for you. Having an aggressive Auto-Immune disease myself, I know exactly what it is like and how frustrating it can be. This past 12 months have been very difficult, in April I developed Liver complications which appear to be improving but are certainly not perfect, then 2 weeks after getting back to work I got a chest infection, went back to work when we thought is was cleared, managed to work 3 weeks and have now been off again since beginning of August, this time with pneumonia.Sometimes it doesn't just rain it pours.

I look forward like yourself to getting back to the weeding which I actually love doing because I love how everyhing looks when your done. I also want to do a major declutter in side.

What sort of things did you put into the Fair. Some years I enter needlework, being cross stiches and paintings to one of the Agricultural Shows. I haven't anything to enter this year, I'm jut hoping I will be able to get to it this year, was in hospitalast year so missed out.

Just lately, since June 16th I have been knitting jumpers for 2 to 6 year olds, so far I'm halfway through jumper number 9 !!. Our local Guardian Pharmacy in conjunction with World Vision collect newly knitted garments, blankets or toys from 1st June to end August for Orphans around the world. This year it is for Orphanagesin the Caucasus Region which borders on Russia,Turkey and Iran. They are looking for garments for 2 to 10 year olds. Having been an avid knitter for many years I have many many balls of wool stashed in various cupboards, so this is one very good way of using them. I must say I have thoroughly enjoyed doing them and enjoy what they are for.

Take Care and continue to enjoy your new found energy. Love to you and your family.

Lots of Love Carolynn xx :-)

9:44 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

so nice to hear you are busy, but good. Glad you're feeling better and enjoying the everyday!

11:52 PM  
Blogger CalvaryGirl said...

A dog! Yay they're so much fun. Mini Schnauzers are wonderful dogs, they do require regular grooming though unless you keep their hair cut shorter. I so dearly miss ours, we lost him last year after 13 years of love. I don't think I'll ever be ready for another dog. We're full of cats now though. We adopted two brothers back in February. They're now a year old, but they're HUGE! We have four total, but one is outside now. The othe rone is 17 and is just content to "be here" lol We have a rat and two hermit crabs, they're a lot of fun too.

Hope you're having a great week!!

11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home