Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Attention, spammers

I think I've deleted 25 or 30 spam comments from my blog in the last 24 hours. After a long time blogging with only one spam post I had to delete, I have no idea why this sudden influx of spam. I'm not going to put up with having it be a full-time job deleting blatant advertising from anonymous commenters on my blog.

I don't mind regular readers linking back to a relevant post on their own blog, or that sort of thing. But this is, as Churchill (supposedly) said, "the kind of arrant pedantry up with which I will not put."

If this keeps up I'm going to have to disable anonymous comments. And I really don't want to have to do that. So if I can figure out a way to report these spammers to their ISP or to Blogger, I am going to start doing that. Especially since so many of the ads sound like they're written by the same person and show up 5 or 10 at a time . . . I'm starting to feel stalked.

Please, if you're a spammer, get lost. I don't want links to your weight loss site, your "get money now" scams, your "free trial offers," your computer virus disguised as a web page, or your illegal pharmacy plastered all over my blog. Consider yourselves warned.

6 Comments:

Blogger Gary Brackett said...

Not Spam: I remember this sort of campaign where at a specific time and day 1000's of people e-mailed and/or went online at the Pentagon, I think it was, to overload there system. Maybe someone could set up a blog where people could attack these spammers with coordinated attacks!... continuously thru-out the day and night... I got some spam and found their e-mails and sent them a few of my thoughts. well just sharing some thoughts...

9:59 AM  
Blogger Rambler said...

I've had a couple of such adds too, but your case really takes the cake. hope that was thge last u heard of the spammer :)

2:06 PM  
Blogger BrightStar (B*) said...

I enabled that thingy where people have to type in random letters in order to leave a comment. You could try that.

5:06 PM  
Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

Yeah, I recommend enabling the random letters thingy. You don't have time to be sweeping up spam all day.

6:58 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

I didn't know that feature was available. Thanks, all. I may have to try it. BTW, welcome to gary and blog writer.

11:48 PM  
Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

holy smokes. you got hit hard. :( i hope they get a clue and take a hike. wonder if the whole blog spamming thing is pretty automated and they don't even have to actually go to people's blogs to do it. hmmm.

anyway, hope that's the last of them.

10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home