Friday, August 12, 2005

Sleep? What's that?

Baby E did sleep last night--I'll give her credit for that. Between 11:30 p.m. and 6 a.m. she slept in 1 1/2 hour increments, with the remainder of each 2-hour time period taken up with--you guessed it--nursing.

Since DH was planning to go to work for a half-day this morning, I was a bit perturbed when she was wide awake and wanting to be held/play from 6 a.m. until she finally got exhausted enough to sleep again at 9:30 a.m. That's a long time to be awake when you're 9 days old! (Pease porridge hot, pease porridge cold . . . )

That's been her pattern today, though--be awake for a really long stretch and then sleep hard for a few hours. I have gotten to take a couple of naps with her (thanks to letting the girls watch more videos than they should this morning, and DH taking over this afternoon), so that's good. For some reason today I have an awful stomachache--sort of a gassy, all-over-belly pain from the base clear up past my ribs. I don't remember this from my other babies, so I don't know if I overdid it yesterday or if it's something I ate.

My dad came over this afternoon, since he hadn't seen the baby (or any of the rest of us) since he visited in the hospital. She'd slept the whole time he was there and he really wanted to see her awake. Since it was time for her to eat anyway (I'm trying to feed her every couple of hours during the day in hopes she'll last longer between feedings tonight), we tried and tried to wake her up.

We tickled, poked, prodded, changed her diaper, picked her up, put her down, stroked her cheeks--did everything short of hanging her upside down by her feet. No luck. She was asleep and had no intention of showing Grandpa her eyes.

Dad invited us all to go to Costco with him. I decided to stay home, but DH and the girls did go. They all herded noisily out the door and shut it behind them as I settled down to renew my nap.

Then Baby E opened her eyes.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rach said...

she's absolutely beautiful! i'm writing this very briefly from my vacation! but i just had to drop in and see how things were going! oh my, she's just gorgeous! congratulations!

Hope you manage to get some more sleep soon, but glad to hear that all is going well!

take care
Rach

9:57 AM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

How sweet of you to drop by even while on vacation, Rach! I hope you're having a great time.

10:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home