Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Never (Eleventy-One Things #40)

My ankle is so much better. It's still sore, but other than being slow I'm not terribly hampered by it currently. I could hug whoever invented ibuprofen.

Of course, Baby E having a bit of a reaction all day and M&M biting Baby E made for an interesting day, anyway.

In the vein of Ten Things I've Never Done (hmm, I've done a few of those things since that post), Liz wants to know three or four "things I have never done or wanted to do that other people do".

####################


1. Been "under the influence"--I've never had the desire to smoke cigarettes, try drugs or get drunk. I can't stand the smell of cigarettes; it makes me sick. As for drugs and intoxication, the hallucinations and disorientation from the seizure-like migraines I used to experience gave me enough of a taste of that sort of thing to make the idea of being "high" not even tempting. Those feelings are distinctly unpleasant.

I like being alert and in control too much to find the idea appealing. Plus I've seen too many people struggle with addiction, hurting themselves and their families in the process.

2. Worn high pinpoint heels. Ouch. Just ouch. Might as well be hobbled and hamstrung. Beauty isn't worth that much pain to me. Besides, I can't keep my balance and keep from turning my ankles even in flats.

3. Played tackle football. Again, ouch. I can't even stand to watch it on TV--I just sit there and wonder how many of the players are going to end up with brain injuries from all those head-on collisions. I gained enough injuries just playing things like basketball and soccer.

However, I was never afraid of doing other dangerous things like climbing higher than the house in trees (to the point the top of the tree was starting to bend), so I'm not sure why football always seemed scary to me. Maybe because you're hurting people on purpose instead of injuries being incidental to the game. Boxing never appealed to me either. But things like fencing, horse jumping, vaulting, archery, skydiving, spelunking, scuba diving, mountain climbing, skiing, hang-gliding and even bungee jumping sound fun to me. Go figure.

4. Wear my fingernails really long (or wear long false fingernails). Mine drive me crazy when they start to get just a little long; they get things stuck under them, get in the way, catch on things and are uncomfortable. I can't imagine having them long on purpose, although I don't dislike the way they look on other people.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I got used to keeping my nails short because I grew up playing the piano. Long nails and playing an instrument don't go well together.

I remember that I had one piano teacher who would cut my fingernails until they bled. I have long cuticles, so my nails were always long enough to click on the keys even if every last bit of white was gone. It drove her crazy, so she'd keep cutting them shorter and shorter with a pair of nail scissors (they can cut closer than clippers), trying to make the noise stop. Finally I'd be leaving red smears on the piano keys. I can't stand to use nail scissors even now.


This meme will make a nice addition to the eleventy-one things about me series. I haven't posted on that for a while.

Labels: ,


4 Comments:

Blogger Liz Miller said...

That piano teacher should have gotten some therapy. Yeesh.

4:56 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm glad your ankle is feeling better!

8:42 AM  
Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

I'm with you on 2, 3, and 4. Though my piano teacher never demanded blood from me! Ick!

4:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can say I have not done any of those four things either. the only time I've ever put on high heels was in the shoe store just for fun and boy are they uncomfortable. I have never been interested in fake nails or long nails. I'm not a girly girl and don't wear makeup either unless I have a job interview in which case I scrounge around to find the masgeria to bring our my almost invisable eyelashes and maybe so power. Anymore than that drives my skin nuts. The drugs and stuff are not only not tempting to me they are part of my religion to obstain from them for the good of my pocketbook and future generation. I guess you can guess what religion I am from that =) Well just wanted to let you know your not the only one who never those things. Thanks for the interesting post.

Katia

8:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home