Thursday, April 10, 2008

Blessed

I'm so blessed by all the offers of help and support we've had this week from our church, family and friends. Today a friend from our home group came to watch the kids and help with some household chores so I could sleep.

I feel like I could sleep for a week almost without waking up, but having people come and relieve me so I can nap, and their help with practical needs, has made such a huge difference. I don't know how I would have made it through the week without it.

That, and the kind and encouraging comments from readers here. Thank you all.

This week's e-newsletter from our homeschool group included an article by Sonya Haskins titled, "Homeschooling When You Live With Chronic Pain". It was so timely for me, especially considering my recent doctor appointment.

She talked about how, though she wouldn't choose this path, homeschooling with chronic pain has in many ways made her a better parent and enriched their family and homeschooling. She has a condition that could take her life at any moment, and this awareness has changed her approach to life and made her appreciate her time with her family in a unique way.

I wish I could link to the article or share it here, but since it doesn't seem to be listed on her website and I don't want to violate copyright, I'll just leave you with a brief quote:

"So if there is one thing I could share with other homeschooling moms who deal with issues of chronic pain or chronic illness, I would say to keep your focus on eternity while enjoying every moment of today. . . . Don't give up teaching your children at home because you are sick or feel that you're aren't doing such a great job. Your children may be learning math, writing, and history at a slower pace right now, but they quite possibly are learning about patience, faith, sacrifice, love, and forgiveness. These things will have eternal value!"


As I said in a note to Sonya Haskins thanking her for the article,

"I have been struggling with chronic illness and pain all my childrens' lives, and I do worry about how it will affect them and feel badly about the things I can't do with and for them. But they are wonderful, compassionate, caring children, and I'm sure being around my illness contributes in some way to that. It also gives them the privilege of seeing a father who has a truly sacrificial level of involvement in the daily household tasks, parenting, etc. and who so obviously loves and cares for his wife and children."


My husband truly illustrates servant leadership and a godly attitude. For the last few weeks has been getting up to get the kids ready for the day and feed them breakfast, often coming home in the middle of the day to help with lunch and/or let me nap, and then coming home tired after work to fix dinner, do dishes and laundry, and put the kids to bed.

He has been so gracious and kind about it, thanking me repeatedly for taking care of myself and telling me to just take it easy and conserve my energy.

I am so very blessed.

Labels: , ,


2 Comments:

Blogger Liz Miller said...

I love your family.

Thinking of you all.

8:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much to Mark!

12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home