Thursday, August 25, 2005

3 weeks, 1 day

Baby E is 22 days old today. The doctor we saw today wasn't our "regular" doctor--although I was able to get our "old" doctor back as our primary care physician. But the pediatrician we saw tonight was connected, caring and thorough.

She said that Baby E looked very healthy and that some kids just make more mucous than others, and gave me some tips for managing it. She said that if it didn't clear up or E continued having gasping episodes or changed color, to bring her back in.

They did take E's clothes/diaper off to weigh her. The nurse was aghast when I told her they'd weighed E fully clothed at the last appointment.

Baby E was 10 lbs. 8 oz. today. Yeah. Up from 8 lbs. 13 oz at birth and 9 lbs 1 oz at 4 days. The weight of 9 lbs 1.8 oz fully clothed last week had to have been wrong. There's no way she lost weight like that and then gained over 24 ounces in 6 days. DH and I are guessing the nurse just didn't take the time to calibrate the scale properly at the last appointment, since it didn't seem possible Baby E had lost weight the way she was growing out of her clothes.

So, I feel much better about that.

Happily, DH insisted on driving us all to the appointment rather than just me taking Baby E, even though it meant dragging the girls out somewhere yet again. It really isn't safe for me to be driving in my current state of sleep deprivation. Plus, now that I don't absolutely HAVE to "hold up," I am really crashing both physically and emotionally.

DH begged me to go right to bed as soon as I eat something, and he'll take care of everything and just bring me the baby when she needs to nurse.

That sounds wonderful.

10 Comments:

Blogger ccw said...

Baby E sounds lovely!

So, glad your husband is back. Take some time for yourself now that he has returned.

7:28 PM  
Blogger Dani said...

Hi there,
I'm not quite sure how I got here but I've enjoyed reading your blog this evening.

I read about your concern for the baby's stuffy nose and it eerily reminded my of what I went through with my youngest. This is not an attempt to freak you out, I swear. I just feel like I need to share this mom-to-mom so that you can ask more questions at your next appointment. I don't want to hog up your comments section but here's the quick version....

He always sounded "rattle-y", like he was congested. He also gagged a lot and spit up through his nose on occasion. I mentioned it at his first few well-visits. I was told nearly the same thing you were... that it was post nasal drip and some babies just have more mucous than others. Do saline, bulb syringe, blah, blah, blah.

It wasn't until after I found him blue and gasping for air that anyone took me seriously. After being transferred from one hospital to another via Lifestar, it was pretty evident that he had aspirated fluids, either from spitting up or that had been trapped in his sinus cavity. An esophogram was done and it not only showed severe reflux but nasopharyngeal reflux, as well. (It's when liquids go up into the sinus cavity before going down the esophogus.) The noise I had been hearing was the sound of formula in his sinuses. We were able to treat his reflux with medications and stopped the upflow of fluids with feeding therapy (he needed to be taught "suck,swallow,breathe". not all babies know it instinctually.) and by thickening his feeding with cereal to the point of them almost being solid. The big thing was keeping him elevated all the time. The infant seat was his bed for a very long time.

Like I said, I'm not trying to scare you and this may not even be what's going in with your baby. I didn't know such a thing existed until I found out my son had it. It won't hurt to mention this condition to your doctor. It's easy enough to rule out with one simple test.

If you have any questions at all, or if you'd just like to chat feel free to email me at dani3boyz "at" yahoo "dot" com.

BTW, he turned 5 in July and will be starting Kindergarten in two weeks. :)

8:51 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

CCW, I will definitely do that. Starting with getting to bed as soon as I finish the current nursing session.

Dani, I am going to e-mail you tomorrow after I've had some sleep. I'm not sure if it's paranoia or instincts, but the nose thing does really bother me.

Both of my first two babies had reflux, and this one almost never spits up but she does gag and choke fairly frequently while nursing.

Welcome and thanks for sharing!

9:01 PM  
Blogger Dani said...

Thanks for the welcome and I look forward to hearing from you. I've got a really busy day ahead of me tomorrow so if I don't get back to you immediately, it's just because I can't get to my pc.

Ciao,
Dani

9:21 PM  
Blogger Rambler said...

babes do loose wieght in their first week, no? my kid lost a few ounces.... the nurses said it was normal... and boy! your baby sounds healthy :) lucky u :) mine was half that when she was 3 wks!

10:55 PM  
Blogger Liz Miller said...

Get thee some sleep!!!!

7:04 AM  
Blogger Running2Ks said...

I am glad that things are better there and that Baby E is doing well. I am really happy to hear you have help and your old doctor back, too!

7:14 AM  
Blogger Yankee, Transferred said...

Hope you rested well.

7:47 AM  
Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

glad that baby e is doing ok.

hope you can get some much-needed rest. i'm happy that your dh is going to take care of things for you. he sounds like a great guy! :)

10:47 AM  
Blogger KLee said...

Yay! Hubby is home! Go to sleep! Don't move unless it is medically necessary. See you in a week.

:)

2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home