Saturday, August 13, 2005

Mood Swings

Post-pregnancy hormones are so funny. Yesterday I was tired, weepy and feeling rather hopeless about getting through the next few weeks as DH goes back to work and then will be gone for several days on a business trip. Today I feel like the baby and life in general are almost too good to be true. Life is good. I feel pretty good (other than my still-very-sore tailbone) and I actually put on lipstick this morning. I'm even contemplating taking all three kids on an outing by myself.

The primary difference? Sleep. Baby E and I slept pretty well last night, with only three wakings. And, I'm finally to the point where--at least on one side--I can actually nurse lying down, which makes a huge difference in how rested I feel by morning.

Last week when we got home from the hospital I was surprised to see that I'd lost a total of 8 lbs. from my weight just before I had the baby. Now, I wasn't expecting to have lost a lot of weight that quickly, of course. But I did expect that at least the weight of the baby would be subtracted from my previous weight, you know??? But as of today, 10 days postpartum, I've lost 16 lbs, which leaves about 22 to go to get to my pre-pregnancy weight. And that's even with eating every few hours--I get hungry almost as often as the baby. :) I'm really looking forward to being able to wear non-maternity pants again.

8 Comments:

Blogger Running2Ks said...

Wow, you are doing so great on your "bouncing back". The hormones are rough, but since they swing, there will be good as much as bad (you know already). You have a beautiful baby, and a loving family, and many friends who are here to lend a shoulder :)

2:45 PM  
Blogger Liz Miller said...

What r2ks said.

6:41 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Awww, thanks. You ladies are so sweet.

8:40 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

well, it's been 4 months since I had Alex, and I still have 10 pounds to go. You are doing good!

11:00 AM  
Blogger BrightStar (B*) said...

Sounds like things are going pretty well! :) I'm glad to hear about nursing lying down. YAY for being rested!

6:29 PM  
Blogger KLee said...

Glad to see that you finally got some sleep. And, that the nursing on the side is beginning to go well. Ihope you stop losing weight, because I keep finding it!

:)

Glad to hear that your outlook is better today! I hope it all gets easier for you, day by day.

7:29 PM  
Blogger Rambler said...

at least u haven't given in to tears :) u r strong.

9:34 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Thanks, everyone! Baby E didn't let us get much sleep at all last night . . . she seems to sleep well every other night at the moment. But we're surviving the first few weeks pretty well I think.

10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home